DEADLINE: April 1, 2018
To be considered for any award or commendation you must submit a full paper, register and attend iEMSs 2018.
Elsevier Best Paper Award
This year, to celebrate the formal recognition of Environmental Modelling & Software as the official journal of iEMSs, Elsevier is granting a $1000 prize to the top paper by a student or early career researcher. Additionally, the winning paper will be fast-tracked for publication in the journal.
- Either be a registered full-time student at an accredited university OR be an early career researcher (within 7 years of receiving PhD or equivalent degree).
- Register for the iEMSs 2018 conference AND submit an abstract for oral or poster presentation AND attend the conference and be available to receive the prize in person on Monday, June 25, 2018 in Fort Collins, Colorado, USA.
- Submit a research article (full paper) associated with their conference presentation no later than April 1, 2018. The article should be submitted through the abstract submission website and should follow the submission guidelines for Environmental Modelling & Software.
- Notify EMS Editor-in-Chief, Dan Ames (email@example.com), by email of your submission and your interest in being considered for this award by April 1, 2018
*Note that the Elsevier Best Paper Award is open to students and early career researchers, and is awarded at the beginning of the conference. It is distinct from the Student Awards which are only for student presenters and are awarded at the end of the conference.
Students are required to submit a full paper to be considered for any student award (including posters). Commendations will be awarded to students for the top oral and top poster presentations. The commendation will take the form of a certificate and monetary award.
- Student presentations and papers will be evaluated based on the scientific quality and presentation of the materials
- Prior to the iEMSs 2018 Congress, session organizers, stream leaders and deputies will be e-mailed a list of students who have completed all requirements and asked to evaluate them for student awards
- Student presentations which are unable to be evaluated by session organizers, due to a conflict of interest for example (being a supervisor or co-author on the paper), will be evaluated by a stream leader, deputy or proxy
- Members of the student awards committee will also evaluate any student presentations that they attend
- Student evaluation sheets will be available for collection from and return to a box at the registration desk and will also be provided to session organizers prior to the conference. An online form will also be available for student evaluations.
- Only students who submit formatted, full paper will be eligible for a student prize
- Must be received by April 1, 2018 (draft)
- Submit through the BePress abstract submission website
- Students are defined as those enrolled full-time at an accredited university in an Undergraduate, Honours, Masters, or PhD program
- Register for the iEMSs 2018 conference as a student by May 15, 2018
Funds will be awarded via PayPal, in the following increments:
- Top Student Oral Presentations:
- 1st Place – $700
- 2nd Place – $500
- 3rd Place – $300
- Top Student Poster Presentations:
- 1st Place – $500
- 2nd Place – $300
- 3rd Place – $200
For additional information, contact Dr. Willem Vervoort, Chair, Student Awards Committee: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please review the full requirements and complete formatting instructions here
The abstract format should follow the template and instructions here:
- Abstract Template in Word Document format
- Abstract Template in Adobe PDF format
- LaTeX version available upon request
To provide uniform formatting, please use the templates provided below. Several styles are available for use:
- Poster abstracts must be submitted in a final, formatted version using the templates provided above
- Be sure to incorporate all revision requests
- Even if you no revisions were requested, you must still submit your abstract in a formatted version
- If you need assistance with poster printing, please contact us
- Formatted Abstract: April 1, 2018
* Final acceptance is contingent on receipt of formatted abstract by April 1, 2018 AND completed conference registration
The format should follow the template and instructions here:
- Template in Microsoft Word format
- Template in Adobe PDF format
- LaTeX version available upon request
- Follow the references format used in Environmental Modeling & Software. See examples from a recent issue.
- Formatted, full technical papers are optional
- Full session papers should not exceed 8 pages (A4 camera ready)
- Include figures and references (see above for formatting)
- Paper Draft: April 1, 2018
- Paper Review Completed: May 1, 2018
- Final Formatted Paper: May 15, 2018
*Final acceptance is contingent on receipt of formatted technical paper by April 1, 2018 AND completed conference registration